Complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and ADAAA (Americans With Disabilities Act Amendment Act) is mandatory for many organizations. Doing so requires them to implement many additional steps, lack of none of which is excusable. As with any other law, obedience to this law also goes by the dictum, “ignorantia legis neminem excusat”, or “Ignorantia juris non excusat”, i.e., ignorance of the law is no excuse.
In fulfilling these additional steps, organizations should have a clear understanding of vital terms such as “Essential Job Function”, “Undue Hardship”, “Reasonable Accommodation”, and “Interactive Process”. There are a couple of reasons for this:
- The clause of reasonable accommodation required under ADA is the highest among all types of discrimination charges
- The good faith effort to have an interactive process to determine if an individual with a disability is qualified for the job or whether an accommodation is reasonable is unique to the ADAAA
It is to help sort out these nuances that TrainHR, a leading provider of professional training for all the areas of human resources, will be organizing a webinar on February 26.
Bob McKenzie, a senior human resources management professional, will be the expert at this 75-minute session. Please enroll for this valuable learning by registering at TrainHR .
This activity has been approved for 1.25 HR (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR, PHR, PHRca, SPHR, GPHR, PHRi and SPHRi recertification through HR Certification Institute (HRCI).
Viewing this webinar, its entirety qualifies for a recertification credit hour that may be counted toward SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP recertification from SHRM. Credit is awarded based on the actual educational time spent in the program.
At this course, which is aimed at benefiting human resources professionals, business owners, or anyone who manages or supervises others, Bob will cover these following areas:
- Summary of the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990
- Summary of the Americans With Disabilities Act Amendment Act of 2008
- Understanding Essential Job Functions
- Understanding Reasonable Accommodations and Undue Hardship
- How to conduct the Interactive Process
- Essential Documentation
- Action Items.
About the expert: During his over 40 years in human resources management, Bob McKenzie has worked hands-on in all areas of Human resources management in all types of industries within the public and private sectors.
An indication of his credibility as an HR expert is the fact of his being cited frequently by leading HR trade publications such as HR.com, HR Magazine, HR Florida Review, Vault.com, BNA and the Institute of Management and Administration and the Business Journal.