No organization that aims at progress can remain unchanged. Change is the quintessential quality for growth and development, and hence has to be ushered in very judiciously.
One of the best-known, best-accepted axioms of management says that the only constant in business is change. This means that change inheres into a business, is inevitable to it, and that if organizations have to remain competitive, they have to embrace change.
Understanding Change Management
We need to start by getting a grasp of some characteristics of change management:
- Change management can be understood to mean voluntarily putting in place systems and processes that help the organization transition to a desired set of outcomes
- Change is a planned process that is carried out across the board and its benefits need to be conveyed to the employees across all levels
- Organizations can bungle with change management initiatives if they lack foresight and planning
- Anticipating the kind of change it needs to undergo and not changing when it is thrust upon it is the hallmark of a successful organization
- Conversely, it goes without saying that that organizations that are reluctant to accept change flounder.