The employee handbook illustrates the nature of employer-employee relationships in an organization. Despite its importance to the organization-it sets out all that the employees can and should expect from their employers and eases employees into their respective roles in the organization-it is still a highly undervalued document in most organizations.
Being the guarantor of the organization’s commitment to the employee; the employee handbook instils a sense of realism in employees about what to expect from their organization. For this reason, the employee handbook should be relevant, precise and rightly worded.
When there is a mismatch between what the organization states in the handbook and what the employees perceive of it, it leads to confusion and worse, legal confrontations between the two sides. An ambiguously worded handbook gives the employee the chance to challenge it legally during times of an unlawful termination.
The importance of having a correctly designed and presented employee handbook is best illustrated in a recent memorandum from the General Counsel of the NLRB, which says such employee handbooks can violate the law and can have a “chilling effect” on employees’ activities.
All the vital aspects of an employee handbook, such as its components, its constituents, the elements that need to be kept in mind while drafting it, the legal safeguards that they need to guarantee, and many more issues concerning employee handbooks will be explained in a lucid manner at a webinar that is being organized by TrainHR, a leading provider of professional training for all the areas of human resources, on September 6.
Ronald Adler, the president-CEO of Laurdan Associates, Inc., will be the expert at this session. Please do enroll for this learning by visiting https://www.trainhr.com/webinar/employee-handbooks:-2019-updates-702548LIVE?wordpress-seo
These are some of the functions of employee handbooks:
- They enhance the employment brand
- They are vital in recruitment and retention
- Employee handbooks enhance employee relations, employee morale, and productivity
- With employee handbooks, there is uniform and consistent application, interpretation, and enforcement of organizational policies and rules
- They help to protect the organization against claims of improper employee/supervisor conduct
- Employee handbooks bring down the organization’s exposure to employment related liabilities
In the course of explaining these and other aspects of employee handbooks, including what is new for 2019, Ronald will cover these areas at this webinar:
- Key employee handbook issues in 2019
- A review of the NLRB’s recent memorandum on employee handbooks
- How organizations can reduce the gap between policy issuance and effective implementation
- Review the basics of employee handbook development
- Discuss the expanding purposes and scope of employee handbooks
- Learn the dimensions of critical handbook policies
- Understand the framework of employee handbook audits activities
Personnel that deal with employee-employer relationships will gain immensely from this webinar. These include HR Professionals, Risk Managers, Internal Auditors, In-house Counsel, CFO’s, CEO’s, Management Consultants, and other individuals who want to learn how to use develop and implement employee handbooks.
About the Expert:
Ronald Adler is the president-CEO of Laurdan Associates, Inc., a veteran owned, human resource management consulting firm specializing in HR audits, employment practices liability risk management, HR metrics and benchmarking, strategic HR-business issues and unemployment insurance. He is a co-developer of the Employment-Labor Law Audit (the nation’s leading HR auditing and employment practices liability risk assessment tool.
A certified instructor on employment practices for the CPCU Society, Ronald has conducted continuing education courses for the AICPA, the Institute of Internal Auditors, the Institute of Management Consultants, and the Society for Human Resource Management.